Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hot Banana Pepper Rings

Things have been heating up here at Kim's Country Kitchen! Today, I canned 14 pints and 5 quarts of Hot Pepper Rings. I really need to learn not order so much from my Farmer's Market...lol. I honestly had no idea I would get so many jars from a 1/2 bushel (this is why I decided to keep a canning journal!) I also learned that "laytex gloves" do not work well...my hands still feel a bit of the burn. I highly recommend a good pair of traditional Rubber Gloves when canning hot peppers. This recipe is really quite easy though.
Ingredients:
1/2 Bushel Banana Peppers (or less!)
Wash, deseed, and slice peppers
Canning Liquid:
1/4 cup canning salt
1 quart white vinegar
3 quarts water
(For a 1/2 bushel of peppers, I had to make two batches of liquid, so really one peck basket of peppers would be plenty and still yeild about 12 pints)
Pack your sliced pepper rings into hot, sterilezed jars. I added a clove of garlic to each jar as well. Wipe your jar rims and seal. Process full jars in a boiling water bath for no more than five minutes (or you'll have mushy peppers)
And when all is done, you'll have beautiful jars of Hot Pepper Rings to enjoy with Chili, Italian Pasta dishes, or on sandwiches!


Blessings from my kitchen to yours,
Kimberly

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a recipe fro homade chocolate fried pies?


    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete